A Broken Blade Book 2 Title Reveal Contest Terms and Conditions
UNION SQUARE & CO.
A BROKEN BLADE BOOK 2 Title REVEAL CONTEST (the “CONTEST”)
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES (THE “RULES”)
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
CONTEST OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (EXCLUDING UNITED STATES TERRITORIES, OVERSEAS MILITARY INSTALLATIONS, COMMONWEALTHS, AND PUERTO RICO)
1. ELIGIBILITY: Entrants must be 18 years or older at the time of entry. Employees of Barnes & Noble, Inc., Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Inc., Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., Union Square & Co. (jointly referred to as “Sponsor”), its distributors, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective advertising agencies and promotion agencies, members of their immediate families and persons residing in their homes, and employees of Sponsor are not eligible. This Contest is void where prohibited by law or regulation. All federal, state, and local laws apply.
2. CONTEST PERIOD: Entries will be accepted online or via mail starting on or about August 29, 2022, 12:00AM EDT and ending September 1, 2022, 11:59PM EDT. All online e-mailed entries must be received by September 1, 2022, 11:59PM EDT.
3. HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST: Beginning on or about August 29, 2022, 12:00AM EDT, Sponsor will randomly reveal twelve (12) letters of the alphabet (“Letters”) which entrants must unscramble and guess the title of Melissa Blair’s upcoming release of the second book in the “A Broken Blade” series. Sponsor will distribute a single Letter to each to Twelve Different TikTok® Creators/Influencers who all use the hashtag #ABrokenBladeBook2TitleReveal on their videos. Entrants must unscramble the Letters into a book title and submit entrant’s title to via Sponsor’s Contest website located at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuaXF0vQ4vo3ACk9p78B57DjBZqvv1vs7njCo9yUWreeftWQ/viewform?usp=sf_link, including entrant’s name, address, and e-mail address.
Entries are limited to one (1) entry per person for Contest. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified by Sponsor. All entries are treated equally and become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned to the entrant. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt. If applicable, lost, late, misdirected, tampered with, or incomplete entries will be disqualified. Entrants must have a valid email address and it is entrant’s responsibility to update Sponsor of any change in email address. If there is a dispute as to the identity of an online entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned by an internet service provider, online service provider, carrier, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning the email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor which are binding and final in all matters relating to the Contest. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify and terminate eligibility to participate in the Contest by any entrant who violates these Official Contest Rules or interfere in any manner with the Contest. Mechanically reproduced, illegible, incomplete, or inaccurate entries are void.
4. PRIZES: The first 5 winning entrants (“Winners”) will be selected by a representative of Barnes & Noble, Inc. on or about November 25, 2022, whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this Contest. Winner is required to prove eligibility. Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received. The Winners a signed copy of A Broken Blade Book 1 and a signed advanced reader copy of A Broken Blade Book 2 (the “Prize”). Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the Prize is $36.00. All prizes are awarded “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Prizes and/or Merchandise cannot be returned for cash. No substitution, exchange, or transfer of prizes or cash equivalent is permitted. Sponsor, at their sole discretion, reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any reason listed in the Official Contest Rules herein. Winner is solely responsible for all federal, state, local taxes, fees, and any other purchases, payments, costs, charges, expenses, and surcharges not specifically mentioned in the Official Contest Rules and/or incurred by the Winner on any prize received. Upon notification and eligibility of a Winner by Sponsor to accept the prize, the Winner must furnish Sponsor with their Social Security or Tax ID number to claim the Prize. A winner may be issued a 1099 tax for the approximate retail value of the prize. Failure to take or complete any portion of the prize does not relieve the winner of his/her tax obligations associated with winning the prize. Prizes will not be fulfilled outside the 50 contiguous United States or D.C.
5. WINNER NOTIFICATION: The Winner will be notified solely by the email listed on the eligible entry. Sponsor will attempt three (3) attempts to contact a Winner within a five (5) business day period on or about September 6, 2022. If a Winner fails to respond within the five (5) business day period of the first e-mail to the Winner; if Sponsor’s e-mail attempts to contact a Winner is consistently returned as undeliverable; or if the selected Winner cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason due to non-compliance with these Official Contest Rules, the Prize will be forfeited and at the Sponsor’s sole discretion, an alternate Winner will be selected in order from correct remaining non-winning entries. All Entrants are responsible for notifying Sponsor of changes in e-mail addresses. Prizes may not be substituted or transferred except at the sole discretion of Sponsor who reserve the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value as stated herein. Acceptance of any prize constitutes permission (except, where prohibited by law) for the Sponsor to use each Winner’s name, hometown, prize won, voice, image, and likeness in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification, or permission.
6. TERMS: Sponsor, service providers, and its agencies shall not be liable for: (a) late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, misdirected, unintelligible entries, or for any other problems, errors, or malfunctions related to or in connection with the Contest, whether mechanical, printing, typographical, human, or otherwise; (b) telephone-mail, electronic, program, network, Internet, or computer failures of any kind; or (c) failed, incomplete, garbled, unintelligible, or delayed computer messages. If the administration or integrity of the Contest is compromised or corrupted at any time, or the Winner is ineligible, Sponsor reserve the right to select an alternative Winner or modify, suspend, or cancel the Contest. Co-Sponsor’s decisions are final in all matters relating to this Contest.
7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to: (i) comply with these Official Contest Rules including all eligibility requirements; and (ii) release and hold harmless Sponsor, service providers, and its agencies from any and all liability, claims, actions, injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from participating in this Contest; from the acceptance, travel related to or from the prize, use, or misuse of the prize awarded; acceptance, use of, or inability to use, participate in, inability to participate in the Contest, including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional, whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty, or other theory.
Winners also release the Sponsor and any of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agencies (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with this Contest or acceptance, use of, inability to use, participate in, inability to participate in the Contest, or use of or inability to use any prize, including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional, whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty, or other theory.
If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned due to events beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor, prevented, impeded or hindered due to events, or force majeure events, including, but not limited to the following: federal, state, or local regulations, Executive Orders, statutes or other political reasons, epidemic or pandemic, health or personal safety concerns, unforeseen events, unavailability of products due to supply, or Acts of God, natural or weather disasters, labor strikes, war, insurrection, terrorist attacks, inadvisable, commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible for Sponsor or Winners to perform; or if this Contest, or any portion thereof, becomes corrupted, or if tampering, unauthorized intervention, or any other causes, corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action, and/or to cancel, terminate, or suspend this Contest or any portion thereof. If cancelled, Sponsor will use best efforts to notify the Winners or entrants regarding the status of the Contest, including postponement, cancellation, and reserve the right to conduct a random drawing to award prizes from among all eligible, non-suspect, entries received for the applicable drawing prior to such cancellation. ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CIVIL AND CRIMINAL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVE THE RIGHTS TO SEEK ANY AND ALL AVAILABLE REMEDIES, INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES, FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify entrants who violate these Official Contest Rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner and terminate such entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest. Mechanically reproduced, illegible, incomplete, or inaccurate entries are void.
8. MISCELLANEOUS: Except where prohibited, acceptance of a prize shall constitute and signify a Winner’s consent to the use by the Sponsor of his/her name, address (city and state only), voice, and/or photograph for commercial, advertising, and promotional purposes without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. By registering to enter the Contest, entrants affirm that they have read and accepted these Official Contest Rules. The laws of the State of New York apply to and govern this Contest, and any claims must be raised and resolved in the State of New York.
THESE RULES CANNOT BE MODIFIED OR AMENDED IN ANY WAY EXCEPT IN A WRITTEN DOCUMENT ISSUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH LAW BY A DULY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF ANY CO-SPONSOR. SPONSOR RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CORRECT CLERICAL OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS IN PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS. THE INVALIDITY OR UNENFORCEABILITY OF ANY PROVISION OF THESE RULES SHALL NOT AFFECT THE VALIDITY OR ENFORCEABILITY OF ANY OTHER PROVISION. IN THE EVENT THAT ANY PROVISION IS DETERMINED TO BE INVALID OR OTHERWISE UNENFORCEABLE OR ILLEGAL AND THESE RULES SHALL OTHERWISE REMAIN IN EFFECT AND SHALL BE CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THEIR TERMS AS IF THE INVALID OR ILLEGAL PROVISION WERE NOT CONTAINED HEREIN.
9. WINNER’S LIST: To obtain the Winner’s name, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Barnes & Noble, A BROKEN BLADE BOOK 2 TITLE REVEAL CONTEST, 33 E 17th St, New York, NY 10003, requesting the Winner’s name. Requests must be received no later than November 15, 2022, 11:59PM EST. Requests received after November 15, 2022 will not be honored.
11. NO IMPLIED ENDORSEMENT: TIKTOK® is a registered trademark of Bytedance Ltd. Sponsors’ use of any names, titles, and trademark of individuals, groups, companies, products, and/or services mentioned herein, and any corresponding likenesses, logos, and images thereof reproduced herein, have been used for identification purposes only and may be the copyrighted properties and trademarks of their respective owners. Sponsors’ mention or reference to any individual, group or company, including, but not limited to, TIKTOK, Melissa Blair, or the inclusion of a product or service as the Prize, does not imply any affiliation, sponsorship, association with, or endorsement by such individual, group, or company, or the owner, writer, creator, manufacturer, or distributor of such product or service and, except as otherwise indicated, no association or endorsement is intended or should be inferred.
12. COPYRIGHT NOTICE: The Contest and all accompanying materials are © 2022 Barnes & Noble, Inc. All rights reserved.
13. SPONSOR: The Sponsors of the Contest is Barnes & Noble, Inc., 33 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003.